SHENANDOAH - One of the oldest churches in Shenandoah is closing after 150 years.
The Bethany-First United Methodist Church, formed in 1866 shortly after the incorporation of the borough of Shenandoah, cites dwindling membership, rising expenses, and falling revenue as reasons for the closure, just as many churches in our area have over the past several years. This year, the church had as few as 62 members.
The church began in 1866, with services held in the Old Brown Schoolhouse at Lloyd and West Streets, until a church was built in 1868.
The church held its final worship service at 11:30am today.